Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Preparing for winter


Doing laundry out on that open back porch began to be a chilly job as winter approached. The heated wash water soon cooled off and felt even colder on the hands as I grabbed those clothes out of the washing machine and ran them through the wringer into that cold rinse water!
Morris decided to enclose the north end of the porch for a ‘Mud and laundry room’. He left enough room south of the door into the kitchen to hang coats on hooks and leave the boots sitting under them. He built screen covered windows all across the east side then covered this with clear plastic for the winter.  This still left about 12 foot of open porch on the south of the door into this enclosed part.  Of course the steps that had been in the center of the porch were moved down in front of the open porch now.
The North side of the porch had no windows in it and this kept that cold wind from whipping around the house in those cold winter day and blowing right through there. This made it so much nicer for me and now the two little boys could be out there with Mom too.
I usually held baby Michael on my left hip and pulled the clothes out of the water with my right hand and pushed them into the wringer. Once he put his little hand into the wringer. He never let out a cry as I quickly released it! It scared me more than it did him I think. However this had taught him a lesson even though he was only about 6 months old, and he never did that again.
I had a rope cloths line that I ran from one side of the kitchen ceiling to the other where I hung the cloths to dry when it was freezing cold out and I couldn’t leave the boys to go out and hang them on the outdoor cloths line that was north of the house.
Morris brought a load of gravel up and dumped it in front of the porch and south of the well to keep out that mud and dirt some.
Ken and Mike loved to play in that gravel. Mike was sitting on the gravel and of course put his little hand down and grabbed a handful and put it in his mouth. Morris came by about that time and tapped him on the head and said -”Spit that out!”
Ken said…”What you trying to do? Killed Him?”
Morris had to turn his head to hide the grin on his face from Ken!
I don’t think Mike spit it all out. I had to put my finger in his mouth and clear it all out!
I am SO glad you found me through my “Last Little House On The Prairie” blog! I have decided to share not only a great software I found with you, but also a GREAT deal! MyMemories.com, is the software that I recommend for keeping your family and fun times in a scrapbook. Check out the savings coupon posted here and use this special code - STMMMS13600  -  and you can save $10.00 on your software purchase and an ADDITIONAL $10.00 off your first MyMemories.com Design Shop purchase! So, what are you waiting for??? Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment